Tuesday, December 7, 2010

First review and a small challenge

So today I posted my first review on Shvoom. It's a review of the science fiction classic by CS Lewis, Out of the Silent Planet. I plan to follow it with reviews of the two other novels in the trilogy, Perelandra and That Hideous Strength. Then I'll review some other works, probably the Dragonkeeper chronicles.

I am writing these reviews for two reasons: 1. to practice my craft of writing and 2. to stay in the Nanowrimo habit of writing consistently. They may start to feel like homework in a while, so we'll see how it goes. When I have a WIP (work in progress), I don't want to feel like I have too many distractors. Part of creativity is in just producing work, everything does not spring from the artist's skull like Athena from the head of Zeus. Don't I wish!

On the other hand, when I don't have a WIP going strong, it is good to continue practicing my craft with actual writing. The charting I do at work (I am a nurse practitioner) is not supposed to be creative. It's supposed to be as uniformly written as possible, which does not lend itself to the creative process.

The Challenge: the challenge is that I joined the christianwriters.com December blog chain. The theme is Christmas (no more detail than that), and my date is Dec 21. So I need to write a blog on that topic, right here! I need to do a bit of research on it, and I hope my fellow cwr's will enjoy it.

My next entry will be a bit more interesting than this one: I'm going to talk about -- and diss! -- my own inner critic. See you soon.



If you want to check out my review, here is the link to it. Thanks!

4 comments:

  1. Good way to challenge yourself.

    I tried to go to your review, but I got a "page not found" error message. When I tried to search for your review on Shvoong, I couldn't find it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'll try to get the post fixed, thanks Traci. I also got sidetracked talking about inner critics, instead posted about Christmas!

    I'm still working on the inner critic post...unfortunately, my inner critic, known as The Censorator for now, keeps telling me not to.

    More to come...

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It does work now; the problem is corrected. Sorry for any inconvenience!

    ReplyDelete